Sunday, August 28, 2016

Reviews #2 - Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

Plot: A white collar office worker meets a strange man and together they start an underground fighting ring.

Review: I have seen the movie Fight Club a million times, but up until recently I had never read the book. The movie was very influential in my life and for a long time it was my favorite movie of all time. As the years went by I started to find some cracks in it that became more and more glaring. It’s not my favorite movie anymore, but I still hold it in very high regard.

            The book itself is different than I had expected. Whilst the story is the same as the movie, the way it is told is disjointed. It is not a linear narrative. It is more of a series of events that occur, with no semblance of how much time has passed. This may have been done in order to question the reliability of the unnamed narrator. The book is also fairly short at just over 200 pages.

            The story describes a person who is bored with his life. He has everything he needs to get by but he lacks any enthusiasm. It’s a problem many of us can relate to, living in the white collar world with office jobs. There can be a certain lack of adventure in life and the narrator finds it in Fight Club. While this is an extreme look at finding excitement, it’s an effective simile for normal people. Of course, just like in real life, sometimes things can go way too far and this story is one where strong feelings can push a group of people to do very dangerous activities in order to remain in a group and share that sense of belonging.

            I am keeping the story points fairly vague for anyone who may not have seen the movie or read the book. I will have to say that I did prefer the movie over the book in this case. The movie flows more smoothly with its more linear narrative whereas in the book, things just seem to happen. It’s an ok read but one where you need to find your bearings constantly.

Score: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment