Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Wednesday Night Ramblings - July 22 2015 - Wrestling Spoilers



                As anyone who reads this blog should know, I’m a fan of the WWE. I first started watching during the attitude era of the late 90s when Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock were tearing it up. Along the way I’ve been on and off several times but since mid 2012 I’ve been watching regularly. It’s to explain why I enjoy it. Maybe it’s just the 14 year old in me watching to just watch something and not think too hard, just have fun. These days though, the Internet can often ruin that fun.

                Just like movies, TV and video games, wrestling has a rabid fan base that is starved for information and wants to know everything that will happen before it happens. Which leads to spoiler stories. This last weekend was a major one. Let me set the stage. The Undertaker had an undefeated streak of 21-0 at Wrestlemania, the premier WWE show every year. At Wrestlemania XXX in 2014, Brock Lesnar defeated The Undertaker to end the streak. Fast forward to last Sunday to the Battleground pay-per view when Brock Lesnar was in a title match against WWE champion Seth Rollins. Suddenly, just as it seems Lesnar is going to beat Rollins and become the new world champion, a gong goes off, the lights go out and then they come back on and The Undertaker is in the ring, staring down Lesnar and proceeds to beat the shit out of him. This was a shocking moment and exemplifies what wrestling is all about when it is done right. Except it wasn’t, because I knew it was happening a few days before the event. 

                In the week leading to the Battleground event, every wrestling website was reporting that The Undertaker was coming back. What should have been a shocking event instead was a foregone conclusion, with no surprise. Learning this in advance completely deflates the awe factor when it happens. Truth is, I could just not go on these websites but there are 2 problems. One, WWE is very bad at reporting certain news. They rarely discuss firings or why certain people just suddenly disappear out of nowhere without explanation. With these websites, at least I know what is going on that front. If WWE were more forthcoming I wouldn’t have to visit these sites for info. Two, even if I stopped reading these sites, it would probably still get spoiled. I listen to several wrestling podcast and have wrestling things pop up on my facebook. Even if I don’t frequent the spoilery sites, chances are one of the outlets will ruin it for me anyway.

                In this Internet age, it is difficult to escape spoilers. It’s hard to come up with a solution. News websites want the hits from shocking news and people want to talk about what’s coming up. I think I’m going to try to stay in the dark as much as possible and maybe I’ll be luckier in the future.

Batman: Arkham Knight












The Monster Machine - 20G - Track down and apprehend the serial killer

 

No comments:

Post a Comment